A UNIQUE MOTHER’S DAY TRIBUTE
We send cards and flowers. We gather the family and take her to lunch or on a picnic. We remember our motherâs in many ways. Thanks to a few women artists in Marin County, California, our community is participating in a new, meaningful way of expressing sentiments to our moms.
On the main street of San Rafael, a beautiful tree of vibrant colors adorns the city plaza. It waves its branches of rainbow colors to passersby. The curious who approach the tree discover that each waving colorful âleafâ has writing on it—handwritten messages to mothers, grandmothers, and women ancestors. It is called The Mothering Tree.
People are invited to write a personal tribute to their maternal lineage using strips of colorful painted rice paper. Suggestions include, âName the mothers in your family treeâ andÂ âWrite a note to a female ancestors that youĘźve never met.â The concept was inspired by Yoko Ono’s âWish Treesâ, part of the Imagine Peace Project.
The tributes reflect myriad feelings, including the following:
- âMy mom taught me to love.â
- âMy mom will be a grandmother come December!â
- âI wish I knew you.â
- âI love her, even though Iâm grounded.â
- âMom, thanks for all the life lessons. It worked!â
- âI forgive her.â
- âMy mom, even at 92, always believes in me!â
- âI wish youâd respect me.â
- âYouâre the kindest, finest person I know.â
- One leaf was written in honor of generations of mothers who immigrated from China. It says, “All your sacrifices are so appreciated, as your boys have become wonderful fathers and grandfathers.”
Your tribute to your mom and your women ancestors: What feelings are living within you that you could express? Are you grateful? Resentful? Willing to forgive? You might take 5-10 minutes to sit in reflection, connecting to all the women, living and not, who have influenced your life.
*** Let’s each take a moment to send our love and prayers to mothers around the world who need our support, including Mother Earth. Imagine a rainbow bridge from your heart to theirs. Close your eyes and send your love now.
May we extend the qualities of loving kindness, caring, and nurturing to all beings each and every day.Â
With love and joyful blessings,
Â EARLY REGISTRATION IS OPEN/DISCOUNTS AVAILABLEÂ FOR : Â
JOY AFTER 50+ WOMEN’S RETREAT
OCTOBER 27-29. SONOMA, CA.